Sunday, June 17, 2012

Day 39 - The Louvre and Eiffel Tower

This morning we woke up early to head to the Louvre. Just when I thought I couldn't take any more museums.... think again... The Louvre was awesome and although the French hate the glass pyramid in front of the Louvre, I loved it.



When we got there, it was packed to say the least. Kendall and I knew we wouldn't have much time to see everything we wanted to so we grabbed a map and made a plan to execute. Our first stop was Winged Victory. This sculpture by the Greeks is stunning.



Next on the path was the Mona Lisa. I will be honest, I expected the painting itself to be much larger. Thankfully, we got close enough to take a good picture; it took shoving a few Asians out of the way...



After the Mona Lisa, we hunted down Venus de Milo. Another one of those things that pictures in textbooks just don't do it justice. Kendall and I both stared at it with mouth open for a few minutes.



Next up was the Code of Hammurabi. Honesty strikes me again, there was a lot of hype over this one. I don't think I know enough about this piece to truly appreciate it. However, we stood and stared.



Next to last on our list was the Horses of Marlee. We had an extreme amount of trouble finding these darn horses. We literally walked around the area they were supposed to be in for twenty minutes and then we realized we were in the right spot the whole time... we just forgot to look up...



Last on the list was Napoleon II's apartments. Whoa, are these rooms extravagant! Not my style but I give it to him for trying...


I will take one with some orange accents rather than all the gold...


I hate that we did not have more time inside the Louvre. I would have liked to see much more. I guess there is always next time!

We went to the Arc de Triumph next. Yes dad, we walked down Champs Elysees; too bad we are a little over a month too early. Take a look at this monster:


We climbed to the top and go some great views of Paris. Too bad it was not a pretty day. It was pretty gloomy and rainy. This view of the Eiffel Tower was my favorite:


The last event of the night has been one of my favorite things we have done on this trip. A group of us decided to go to the Eiffel Tower to see the lights. So we grabbed some wine and champagne and headed to the lawns. This part of Europe exceeded my expectations. It was gorgeous.


I will try to get the video of the light show up here soon. We had the best time just hanging out in the grass. It was the perfect ending to a long day.

1 comment:

  1. One day you and I will sit on the Champs Elysees at one of those cafes sip expresso and watch the finish of LeTour!

    ReplyDelete